The Legal Department handles all legal issues involving the Ministry of Petroleum Resources and its Agencies. The Unit is headed by a Director, Legal Services (DLS) Department.
The Director is assisted by 6 (Six) Assistant Legal Officers (ALAs). The DLS and all the ALAs were posted from the Office of the Honourable Attorney-General of the Federation (HAGF). The Department is therefore an appendage to the Honourable Attorney-General Chambers and reports directly to the Honourable Minister through the Permanent Secretary.
Activities/Functions of the Legal Department
- The Department is essentially a service Department, and as such its schedules relate to legal issues concerning the Ministry as they arise from time to time within and outside the Departments of the Ministry.
- Proffering legal advice to the Honourable Minister/Permanent Secretary on any issues brought to its notice.
- Drafting Contracts Agreements bills and Memoranda of Understanding
- The Department is currently undertaking several topical issues and advisory matters
- The Department is currently handling several Court Cases involving the Ministry and its agencies. These are pending in various Courts across the Federation, and are at different stages of completion. Many of such Cases have been disposed of.
- The Department has also recorded tremendous achievement in the preparation of Legal documents, representation in various Committees and other assignments promulgation of industry-wide policies etc.
Director, Legal Services
GREGORY Fulus Zi, Esq is the Director, Legal Services of the Ministry of Petroleum Resources. He is a Legal Practitioner with a wealth of experience spanning over thirty-two years. He holds a Bachelor of Laws, LLB (Hons) Degree from the University of Jos, Nigeria and is a Barrister and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Nigeria having been called to the Nigerian Bar.
He has worked in the Civil Litigation Department and as Zonal Counsel of the Federal Ministry of Justice, Abuja. He has also worked in Ministry of Niger Delta Affairs and Federal Ministry of Health as Director Legal Services. Mr. Zi has served and is currently on the Governing Board of some Government parastatals. He is a recipient of many awards for meritorious service in government and the society. He has attended several conferences, Workshops and Seminars whilst also serving on several Committees of government.
He is married with children.