The Department of planning Research and Statistics is one of the three common services Departments in the Ministry. It is responsible for the formulation and implementation of policies for regulating and supervising activities in the Oil and Gas sector of the Nigerian economy. The Department also conducts research studies into identified and approved Projects in the sector.
To provide accurate and reliable information for effective planning and ensuring that due process is followed in the execution of the programmes and Projects in the Ministry. The Department shall also monitor and evaluate the implementation of work plans and schedules of the Ministry for maximum efficiency.
The PME Division is saddled with the responsibility of facilitating the Planning Policy of both the Ministry and its Parastatals, It is also mandated to monitor projects under the Ministry and its Agencies and it is also in charge of relations with International Bodies as well as Bilateral and Multilateral relations in the area of Oil and Gas. The research and Statistic Division conducts research studies and surveys into identified and approved policies, programmes and projects in the sector and handles all statistical activities of the Ministry including functions relating to the African Petroleum Producers’ Association (APPA). The Division also handles the Library and ICT need of the Ministry.
The statutory functions of the Development are as follows:
- Co-ordination of the development plans of the Ministry (Medium Sector Strategies (MTSS) and Perspective;
- Monitoring and Evaluation and Plan implementation
- Secretariat of the Tenders Board and Resident Due Process Team and Procurement Planning Committee of the Ministry;
- Conducting Sectoral Research;
- Setting and Monitoring of Performance and Efficiency Targets;
- Research into management procedures, there from suggesting improvements;
- Continuous collaboration and processing of sectoral data relating to the Ministry and its Parastatals;
- Management of the Ministry’s records, Data Bank, Computer Services, Registry and Library;
- Co-ordination of the Ministry’s participation in Multi-lateral and Bilateral Relations and international Joint Commissions meetings e.g Organisation of the petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC),African Petroleum Organisation (APPO), West African Gas Pipeline Project (WAGP) , Gas Exporting Countries Forum (GECF),etc;
- Liaison with Government Agencies and other bodies outside the Ministry;
- Preparation and submission of the Ministry’s Federal Executive Council (FEC) memoranda to the cabinet Secretariat;
- Returns on the implementation of decisions of the Federal Executive Councils to the policy implementation and Monitoring Unit of the Presidency;
- Dissemination of information and correspondence with the Ministry’s Parastatals;
- Preparation of Annual Reports and Ministerial Press Briefing texts;
- Co-ordination of Ministerial/Inter-Ministerial meeting and;
- Any other duties assigned by the Permanent Secretary and the Honourable Minister(s);