The Press Department, headed by a Director; works directly with the Office of the Honourable Minister and the Permanent Secretary and the department serves as the information gateway between the Ministry and its publics.
Mr. Idang Alibi was born on 1st September, 1960. He attended St. Mark’s Primary School, Gakem, Ogoja, CRS. He had his Secondary Education at N.K.S.T. Secondary School, Adikpo, Benue State from 1973-1978. He took a degree in English and Literary Studies (Second Class, Lower Division) from the University of Calabar which he attended from 1978 – 1982. He possesses an MPA from the University of Calabar in 2000. He was employed as a Senior Reporter in the Daily Times in 1984 and rose to become a member of the editorial board in 1985 until 1990 when he left the organisation.
He was appointed Editor, Sunday Chronicle by the CRSG in November, 1990. He was later appointed Assistant Chief Administrative Officer, CRS Rural Water Supply Agency in 1996 by the Cross Rivers State Government (CRSG). He transferred his services to the Federal Character Commission, Abuja in 1999. He later transferred his services to the Federal Ministry of Information and Culture in 2006, where he rose to become a Director (INFO).
Activities/Functions of the Press Department
- Media Liaison
- Issuing and distribution of Press Releases, Rejoinders, Feature Articles, Press Photographs and News Video Clippings,
- Production of an in-house quarterly News Journal
- Project Inspection Tour for Media Practitioners
- Ministerial Press Briefing
- Procurement of Newspapers and Magazines for News review
- Production of Seasonal cards, Calendars, Diaries and other gift items, including desk pads, Note Books etc.
- Binding of all Newspapers and Magazines
- Coverage of council, OPEC, APPA meetings and other workshops.
- Production of documentary Films on activities of the Ministry for Television broadcast.
- Procurement and placement of Photo Gallery of Major events in major Newspapers.
- Procurement and Installation of Coats of arms, Flags and signposts in major offices, buildings and locations in the Ministry.
- Mobilisation/Networking with key media groups, Energy Correspondents, Editors, News Editors, Political Editors, Abuja Bureau Chiefs, National Assembly correspondents and State House Press Corps, Editors/Publishers etc.
The Press Department also sends the Press releases, features and other publicity reports to the Federal Ministry of Information and Culture’s Portal for onward placement in the Nation’s Portal.